"ANY MAN DRINKING MILK AT THE POKER TABLE MUST BE FEARED."

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

SPEAKING UP FOR SERENA WILLIAMS

I know that the rule is that you can't have your foot on the line when you serve.
But here's the unwritten rule: You never call a foot fault unless it's blatantly ridiculous. And the truth is that a lot of line judges don't even do it then. Players NEVER call foot faults on each other, by the way. I don't know what the hell I'd do if an opponent called a foot fault on me.
Calling a foot fault in tennis is like a second base umpire calling a runner safe because the second baseman didn't touch the base exactly when he should during a double play pivot. "Safe" is the technically correct call, but the runner is always called out.
Tennis has at least as many unwritten rules as baseball does, and I'm surprised I haven't heard many people talk about how the foot fault call was just plain weird.
It was extremely weird call at a curiously important time in the match. I wouldn't be surprised if money was involved somehow.
Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone with SprintSpeed

No comments: