"ANY MAN DRINKING MILK AT THE POKER TABLE MUST BE FEARED."

Sunday, March 30, 2008

TABLE PRESENCE

I go to a Saturday night game in Round Rock about once a month. Last time I was there, Jon the Baptist said I didn't have any table presence. That didn't make sense to me, since I am -- in fact -- renowned for my table presence -- it is sincerely legendary -- and my arrival in a poker room can be compared to an appearance of an exotic mythical creature -- kind of like a phoenix -- but with better card sense and a more articulate squawk. Oh well -- I was busy sending email or something, and whatever play I made during that hand was unlikely to make poker history anyway.
So, last night, I showed up at the game in a tuxedo, with an eyepatch and two ferrets -- Snowflake and Max. Max is chill. Snowflake is an albino. She's mean, too, like a good ferret should be, with little hot-pink eyes -- windows to hell.
I played one hand of no limit hold'em, won $37 with a set of jacks, and left -- ferrets, formal wear, and cash in tow.
Sometimes, the most effective display of power at the table is to minimize one's time at it.
By the way, regarding time and power, any good poker player must manage them effectively -- both are so dangerous -- in fact, time and power are talking roots of all evil. You can deduce that by noting that money is the root of all evil, time is money, money talks, and money is power. Thinking further, you can deduce that all evil must have its root in speech. I'll write about that later.

No comments: