"ANY MAN DRINKING MILK AT THE POKER TABLE MUST BE FEARED."

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

OWNERSHIP

The poster in the video store tells me that I can "own No Country for Old Men for just $14.95".
What makes us human? The ability to create and appreciate art. That's the best answer I know of. But a good argument can be made that the defining human characteristic is the ability to appreciate and seek ownership of art.
And before I get too frustrated with that notion, I look in the mirror.
You know why I love golf? It isn't the exercise -- you get to burn more calories in almost any other sport. It's not the players you meet -- amateur golf is filled with world-class jackasses -- it isn't the convenience -- golf is time consuming and expensive.
I love golf because it's the only sport where you have total ownership of the ball. Total ownership -- and whatever control there is doesn't belong to any opponent.
Your golfball is all your own -- all the time.
That's profoundly satisfying.

No comments: