"ANY MAN DRINKING MILK AT THE POKER TABLE MUST BE FEARED."

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

LARGE FLIGHTLESS BIRDS

"Let's go to Chango's," Kim said.
I started spending a lot of time in Austin beginning in the summer of '04 -- it's a pleasant little city -- walkable, bikeable, complete with a good variety of TexMex -- except for the fact that surprisingly many places don't offer my kind of tacos.
When I order tacos, I like crispy corn tortillas filled with ground beef or steak with cheese and sauce. I'm not fond of soft tacos. I'm not very particular about the kind of sauce, and there doesn't have to be any at all -- if the meat is spicy enough. Wouldn't you consider my taste rather standard?
But so many places can't satisfy it. Chango's can't satisfy it, and that's why I'm not eating there tonight.
My girl, my love, my moderating force, my bow from which I shoot my arrow into the world, my teammate in four-way-truth-or-dare-scrabble, my cleaner, my partner, my cute squawking emu -- how do I tell her no?
"No," I said.
"Why not?"
"I don't like the food there."
Hence the conflict, and yet another example of the difference between men and women when facing such an issue. A man would probably suggest somewhere else to eat. We'd eventually agree on a restaurant, and the whole matter would end in a good meal for both of us.
Now with Kim, she won't talk to me for a day or two, and even afterward, she'll never admit to there being a disagreement to begin with. And long, long after this latest failure to peck away at my will, the whole matter may never be resolved at all.
But here's the good part: You see, I had these same situations at 15 and at 25 that I do now at 35; I've become better at handling them. Tonight, I know that I don't have to get over anything -- There's nothing for me to get over -- because I'm not the one with the problem.
She wanted us to go to Chango's tonight. That's her problem. I just finished great crispy tacos without her at La Morada -- genuinely enjoying myself. My patience with her problem will be just as genuine -- when I hear her complain later. And if that sweet squawk ever turns bitter, I'm sure she can find another nest.

No comments: