"ANY MAN DRINKING MILK AT THE POKER TABLE MUST BE FEARED."

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

CATS, CONDIMENTS, AND WARREN BUFFETT


I've decided that I must be going to one of the most unique HORSE home games in the world.
All the regulars there know how to play good poker -- and they're stimulating and interesting people. It's stunning how many poker players are too intensely into the game for me -- a lot of them are either way too loudly mathematical about the details -- or worse -- keep spouting bad math about the details of the game -- or really into yelling an interrogation of why I called or raised or breathed with my J-3 -- when the simple answer is that I just felt like it at the time -- that my goal is to play the most unpredictable poker in the world -- I've quit explaining things rationally to them. I've started giving the excuse "well it was suited" or other nonsense. Rationality and the logocentric mentality are the most overrated part of the whole poker experience, and I really want to unsubscribe from all the poker blogs where writers go on for three or four pages about exactly -- precisely -- how great they played K-9 against someone's A-10 -- of course, I keep reading that stuff -- I have to keep abreast -- I have a professional obligation to read all that crap -- I want to know how these people are thinking, since that's what they're so go at.
Anyway, those people don't frequent my HORSE game. I am among friends.
I wasn't being glib about people overthinking poker. All you need to know about poker is what warren buffett said is all you need to know about investing: "Be greedy when others are cautious. Be cautious when others are greedy. Have fun, and don't think too much."
So while I'm sitting out of this game, laying on a comfortable beanbag, $145 to the good, drinking High Life, watching the host's wife painting her pet kitty's claws with bright red nailpolish, I know in my heart that Buffett was right -- poker should be fun more than anything else -- and the main thought I have now is that cats are tasty with mustard.

No comments: