"ANY MAN DRINKING MILK AT THE POKER TABLE MUST BE FEARED."

Thursday, August 21, 2008

UTILITY

In the past few minutes, my right-hand opponent has given this 1-2 no-limit table hundreds of dollars worth of uncalled pre-flop action with neither paint nor a pair. It is truly sad. He doesn't forsee the impending loss, he doesn't understand postering strategy, he doesn't sense the chip-lusting salivation and naked furiosity of the rabid badger on his left, and I doubt he can afford to be here in the first place. There goes in another $50 pre-flop -- take it down.
In the summer of 2000, I spent about three months on self-directed motorcycle/camping tour of Central and Eastern Europe -- at that time, you could do that comfortably on $20 a day -- and less than that if you were careful. I bought the bike for something like $550 in May and sold it for exactly the same in September. I went through the whole summer spending south of $2400, including airfare, and it could easily have been less. The dollar was my friend, and it worked. I couldn't depend on the maps, or the roads, or even the hour-by-hour availability of electricity -- but I sure could depend on the dollar -- and the fact that my money went so far gave me a newfound respect for its value.
The player on my right needs to learn that lesson. He'll live better.

No comments: