"ANY MAN DRINKING MILK AT THE POKER TABLE MUST BE FEARED."

Saturday, August 30, 2008

IT'S 6 PM AND I'M NOT FAMOUS YET.

My poker has been stunning this afternoon -- I wish it were televised. Everything I do is working, and I'm so in-the-zone that I could probably start laying down smack in Esperanto without even knowing the language.
Another miraculous play with mediocre starting cards, and the guy across the table asks me if I think I'm famous.
Well, no I don't. At least not now. Not yet. And then I started to think about what it takes to achieve fame -- at what point could I wake up in the morning, shave, have tea, and otherwise prepare for another day of what passes for civilization, and while straightening my tie in the mirror say to myself, "Self, I'm famous!" what could justify that? Certainly not winning a few bucks in pot-limit Omaha.
Here are there ways to become famous, in no particular order:
1.Start a clothing line.
2.Buy a clothing line already established by someone else, renaming it.
3.Attack someone else's clothing line to the point of giving regularly scheduled press conferences about the drawbacks of it -- every Tuesday at 5:30, for example -- and after each event, burning or somehow dramatically destroying a different product from that targeted clothing line -- consistency and parallelism are important and often overlooked by people seeking fame this way -- so if the speech to the press is about the ugliness of a belt, understand that it would be out of place to torch a sweater.

No comments: