"ANY MAN DRINKING MILK AT THE POKER TABLE MUST BE FEARED."

Friday, May 29, 2009

100 MILES EAST OF THE OCEAN IS STILL TOO CLOSE

The phonecall came from out of the blue.
"Good to hear your voice again. They told me you were in town."
"I'm going back to Austin tomorrow," I said.
"Can you believe its been 10 years?"
The past isn't dead -- it isn't even past. -- William Faulkner
Suddenly, we're in the desert -- sitting on the burning sand, with the mean sun pounding us from a cloudless sky. There is a little wind, but it doesn't feel good -- it only serves to blow the sand in our eyes. We're just sitting there Indian-style, face-to-face, staring through each other -- speechless and emotionless. Even the cactus plants around us lack character -- they're the kind with just one trunk -- none have the up-reaching arms you might expect.
All I could do is hum a little Jerry Jeff Walker -- If I could just get off of that L.A. freeway without getting killed or caught . . .

No comments: