"ANY MAN DRINKING MILK AT THE POKER TABLE MUST BE FEARED."

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

FOUR-WAY STOP AT JUSTIN & WOODROW

I'm headed south--
Stopped--
While noticing the cedar limbs--
Overhanging the road ahead of me--
Swaying in the wind--
Covering & revealing and halfway covering again-
That damn ol' Austin skyline--
Just elaborate enough to fit the definition, but so
small--
that it looks about the same from any angle.

The woman on my left pulled up in an '84 Chevette and stopped at exactly the same time I did. Should I be using any of my poker skills in this situation? It sure feels like a poker situation as I'm looking at her sunglasses that cover her whole little face from forehead to lips -- and um trying to read her. Just go, little girl -- end this awkwardness. Put the pedal to the metal or the plastic or formica or whatever the floorboard of that junkheap is made of -- go -- now -- don't just sit there -- I'm not moving -- you have the right-of-way.
The only one having fun is a grinning, sweaty fat man-- jogging diagonally across our intersection -- grasping a half-eaten peach.

No comments: