"ANY MAN DRINKING MILK AT THE POKER TABLE MUST BE FEARED."

Saturday, May 30, 2009

ARETE

Alright now, Fellas -- what's cooler than being cool?
Ice Cold!
I can't hear ya-- what's cooler than being cool?
ICE COLD!!!!
Alright, Alright, Alright, Alright, Alright, Alright, Alright, Alright, Alright, Alright, Alright, Alright, Alright, Alright --
Ok now, ladies -- -- Outkast
Kim and I had dinner, and then I made us dessert.
-- peeled two bananas and cut off the ends. Cut them up into 3/4" slices. Very slowly, over medium heat, sauted a stick of butter, two teaspoons of cinnamon, half-a-cup of dark rum, a little banana liquor, some brown sugar and a shot of lemon juice.
Pulled out a big 2-quart homemade pottery bowl. Added four scoops of rich vanilla ice cream, drizzled with chocolate syrup. Poured in the sliced bananas and sauce on top. Poured half-a-cup of bacardi 151 on all that, and set it on fire.
-- not really the kind of thing you'd whip-up for a midday snack alone --
Got a huge spoon and shared it and the bowl with a good woman. That's civilization, my friends. Do it enough, and someone will build a temple in your honor.
We finished dessert and I snuggled up with her. Some guys would play some Barry White right about now, or maybe James Taylor. But Kim's got herself a real man-
I turned up the volume of the national spelling bee.
"Cacolet"
"That was soooo much sugar in that," she said.
"You ain't seen nothing yet."
"Could I have the definition?"
"A calcolet is a mule-carried military assistance unit for the sick or wounded -- calcolet."
I suppose you might find other means of setting the mood -- better ways than tuning the TV to hear little kids spell unimaginably obscure words -- one after another -- well, I've got my game and you've got yours.
"Could I have the part of speech, please?"
"'Calcolet' is a noun."
"What's the language of origin?"
"French."
"Are they're any alternative pronunciations?"
"'Cal-co-LAY' or 'Cal-CO-lay' or 'Cal-co-LET'."
The boy looked anxious. It was as if his whole purpose in life was to spell words like calcolet -- and strain to do it.
"Could you use it in a sentence?"

No comments: